Each student applicant submitted an essay on the benefits of altruism and how their involvement has impacted the community. The scholarships are funded through American 1’s Skip-a-Pay program, where credit union members can choose to skip one month’s loan payment for $25. A portion of the $25 fees are then used to fund the scholarship program.
The 2019 American 1 Community Involvement Scholarship winners are:
• Jamie Gorman – Chelsea, Chelsea High School
• Natalie Anderson – Jackson, Homeschooled
• Aubree Dickens – Brooklyn, Columbia Central High School
• Emily Goodin – Petersburg, Summerfield High School
• Anna Sun – Canton, Detroit Country Day School
• Madelyn Atwood – Jackson, Northwest High School
• Ajay Bharathan – Canton, Salem High School
• Chance Cauthon – Clarklake, Hanover-Horton High School
• Alexander Dunbar – Jonesville, Jonesville High School
• Hailey Peguro – Battle Creek, Harper Creek High School
Established in 1950, American 1 Credit Union today serves over 59,000 members with branches in Jackson, Washtenaw, Hillsdale, Calhoun, Macomb, Lenawee and Wayne counties.