"Self-defense training is also a form of mindfulness training that can empower individuals through offering techniques for analyzing situations and promoting assertive behavior," says Angelita Velasco Gunn, AWARE, Inc. executive director. "The instructors from Mason Martial Arts are not only skilled in self-defense but are also sensitive to survivors of trauma," says Gunn.
Instructors will provide participants tools for:
- Staying calm under pressure
- Assessing situations for appropriate level of danger
- Assessing risks to fighting back
- Using assertive voice and body language
- Escaping simple scenarios
- Using striking techniques for defense
- Gaining confidence through real acquired abilities
For more information or to register for the course, contact Nina Thomas at 517-783-1638, ext. #141.